Federal Ministry of Education
The Federal Ministry of Education has been vested with the overall responsibility for laying down national policies and guidelines for uniform standards for all levels of education in Nigeria as enshrined in various statutory instruments, notably the National Policy on Education, the Education Decree No. 16 of 1985 and the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. By the role entrusted to it, the Federal Ministry of Education is responsible for:
- Formulating a national policy on education.
- Collecting and collating data for purposes of educational planning and financing.
- Maintaining uniform standards of education throughout the country.
- Controlling the quality of education in the country through the supervisory role of the Inspectorate Services Department within the Ministry.
- Harmonizing educational policies and procedures of all the states of the federation through the instrumentality of the National Council on Education.
- Effecting co-operation in educational matters on an international scale.
- Developing curricula and syllabuses at the national level in conjunction with other bodies.
Provide accessible and affordable quality learning opportunities that prepare students with the knowledge and skill needed for success in an interconnected world
Increase access to educational opportunities for the uneducated mass who have missed out on formal education.
Development of better qualified and employable individuals by running programs that provides students with tools for entering the workplace.
Expansion of learning and the acquisitions of skills beyond the current institutions of learning
Ensuring demonstrated capacity for innovation and technology in the institutions for facilitating learning.
Establishment of a clear relationship between learning and the capacity for higher earning capabilities and wealth creation.
Ensuring the ability of students to replicate experiences and lessons generated from case studies during the programme.
For more information:
Ministry of Education
Address: Federal Secretariat Complex, Shehu Shagari Way, Central Area, P.M.B. 146, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9 5232800, 6710906